With tours complying with general package tour terms and conditions the traveller has a right to cancel the trip for no specific reason. This right to cancel does not exist in the Package Travel Act.
A package tour can usually be cancelled by paying administration costs 28 days prior to the journey. After that the amount to be paid will increase.
The traveller can cancel the trip for no specific reason as follows:
- At the latest 28 days before the journey by paying the tour operator the administration costs which have been agreed beforehand.
- Later than 28 days but before 14 days by paying the booking fee
- Later than 14 days but before 48 hours before the start of the journey by paying 50% of the price of the trip
- If the trip is cancelled later than 48 hours before the journey begins the tour operator has a right to collect the total price for the trip.
- The cancellation terms for a package tour are explained in the general package tour terms and conditions. It is advisable to read them carefully.
Special terms and conditions can differ from general terms and conditions
Due to the special nature of the trip the tour operator can use cancellation rights which differ from the general package tour terms and conditions, for instance because of the circumstances in the country of destination, or because regular flights are being used.
Special terms and conditions must include information about circumstances when the traveller who cancels the trip has to pay the fees which an airline, hotel or other service provider has collected from the tour operator.