If departure from the harbour is late more than 90 minutes or is cancelled,
1. You can demand that the shipping company provides meals and accommodations when possible
(restrictions: the cancellation/delay was stated prior to purchase of the ticket or the situation is caused by the traveller).
The shipping company must offer reasonable snacks, meals or refreshments free of charge in proportion to the length of delay.
If accommodations for one or more nights becomes unavoidable, the shipping company must offer
- accommodations on board the ship or on land, when possible. The shipping company may limit the cost of accommodations to 80 EUR per night and to no more than three nights per passenger.
- transport between the harbour terminal and accommodations.
The right to accommodations and transport does not apply if the shipping company demonstrates that the cancellation/delay was caused by weather conditions that compromised safety, such as heavy winds, rough seas or floods. However, the shipping company must explain their actions in the situation.
2. You can demand a new travel route or refund of the ticket price
- You can demand a new travel route to the final destination with similar terms and conditions as soon as possible an without additional fees or
- You can cancel the trip and be refunded the ticket price within 7 days. You can demand refund of each cancelled leg of the trip and an already travelled part of the journey, if it carries no benefit for the original travel plan. You can also demand a free of charge journey back as soon as possible to the place of departure stated on the ticket. With your consent, the shipping company may reimburse the price as travel vouchers or services.
Note! The demand cannot be made for cruises that include over 2 nights on board the ship. In these instances you can refer to the terms and conditions of the trip.
Claims to the shipping company
You can claim compensation from the shipping company, if you feel the shipping company has acted inappropriately and violated your rights.
The complaint must be filed with the shipping company within 2 months of the delay/cancellation. The shipping company must provide a response within one month on if the claim is accepted, rejected or still being processed. The shipping company must provide a decision on the matter no later than two months from receiving the claim.
The claim can be filed in free-form text format. You can use the Complaint to Company Regarding Defective Service template by the Finnish Consumer Agency. Please submit the form to the company in question, not to the Competition and Consumer Authority. Save the letter or form on your computer or print it out and remember to keep a copy of the complaint submitted.
Filing a complaint with a company
If your complaint to the company is unsuccessful, contact the consumer advisors
Assistance for consumers is provided by consumer advisors and the European Consumer Centre. Select the option that applies to your complaint:
Matter concerning a Finnish business (in Finnish and Swedish)
Matter concerning a non-Finnish business