You can demand compensation when the ship arrives to its destination late. The amount of compensation is 25–50% of the ticket price.
You can demand 25 per cent of the ticket price, when the ship is late at least:
- 1 hour, if the scheduled travel duration is no more than 4 hours
- 2 hours, if the scheduled duration of travel exceeds 4 hours but is less than 8 hours
- 3 hours, if the scheduled duration of travel exceeds 8 hours but is less than 24 hours
- 6 hours, if the scheduled duration of travel exceeds 24 hours
You can demand 50 per cent of the ticket price, when the ship is late at least:
- 2 hours, if the scheduled duration of travel is no more than 4 hours
- 4 hours, if the scheduled duration of travel exceeds 4 hours but is less than 8 hours
- 6 hours, if the scheduled duration of travel exceeds 8 hours but is less than 24 hours
- 12 hours, if the scheduled duration of travel exceeds 24 hours
With return tickets the delay on either leg of the journey entitles the customer to compensation of 25–50% of half of the ticket price
The holders of season tickets or commuter passes may demand compensation for repeated delays in accordance with the compensation policy of the trafficker they use.
Compensation is not paid, if
- a cruise that includes more than 2 nights on board the ship
- the cancellation or delay was disclosed prior to purchase of the ticket or the situation is caused by the traveller
- the cancellation or delay is caused by weather conditions that compromise the safety of the vessel or other exceptional events (e.g. natural disasters or seek and rescue missions at sea or inland waters) that could not have been avoided even if all reasonable actions were taken to do so.
You can also demand compensation for damages that occurred during the trip or caused by the trip, if the shipping company or its operator has caused the damage in question through error or negligence.
Claims to the shipping company
The claim has to be made to the shipping company within 2 months of the delay.
The shipping company must pay the claim within one month of the claim being submitted. With your consent, the shipping company may reimburse the price as travel vouchers or services. The shipping company may withhold payment, if the claim amount does not exceed 6 EUR.
The claim can be filed in free-form text format. You can use the Complaint to Company Regarding Defective Service template by the Finnish Consumer Agency. Please submit the form to the company in question, not to the Competition and Consumer Authority. Save the letter or form on your computer or print it out and remember to keep a copy of the complaint submitted.
Filing a complaint with a company
If your complaint to the company is unsuccessful, contact the consumer advisors
Assistance for consumers is provided by consumer advisors and the European Consumer Centre. Select the option that applies to your complaint:
Matter concerning a Finnish business (in Finnish and Swedish)
Matter concerning a non-Finnish business