There will be changes in consumer protection, as changes in legislation that will affect taxi traffic and package travel enter into force in the beginning of July. There will be changes, for instance, in taxi fares and, in the future, the price of a trip can vary between the taxi companies, as each company will be able to set a price for their fares independently. Changes in package travel will affect travel packages booked after 1 July 2018. Better consumer protection applies to travel packages than travel services purchased separately, such as flights. Overview and more information under Consumer tips (in Finnish).
Changes in pricing taxi fares and ordering a taxi
- A taxi fare can be based on the length, duration, day, time of day or additional services.
- Information on the fare must be available before the taxi ride.
- If the fare exceeds €100, the taxi driver must agree in detail with the passenger in advance.
Taxis will no longer have a designated location or an on-duty obligation
- Ensure your taxi trip by making a pre-order, especially in less busy times and in small towns.
- At a taxi rank, you can choose the car you prefer instead of taking the first car in the line.
The right of cancellation of travel will be extended, possible to apply for compensation of loss of holiday enjoyment.
- You will have the right to cancel a travel package without special reasons at any time before the start of the trip.
- The tour operator can charge a cancellation fee, also in the case of illness, as distinct from the current legislation.
- Please remember to take a travel insurance!
- You can apply for compensation for the loss of holiday enjoyment, if there has been a serious defect in the holiday.
- The changes will apply to travel packages booked after 01 /07/2018.
The protection of purchasers of travel packages against bankruptcy will continue
- The main principle is that domestic travel service providers have an obligation to deposit a security at the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority to protect the consumers’ funds in the event that the tour operator cannot provide the agreed travel services.
- Before you make an advance payment for your holiday, remember to check with the register of package travel agencies if the travel service provider has deposited a security for insolvency.
In the case of a problem, always fail a complaint with the service provider without undue delay. You can use the help of a Complaint assistant when filing a written complaint. If you cannot find an answer, contact a consumer advisor.
Rights of taxi passengers
Travel packages and consumer protection
Taxi travel will be reformed, video clips (in Finnish)