Local transport

Passengers should be prepared for occasional delays or cancellations in local transport. You can request a partial refund if, for example, you have purchased a season ticket and service delays or cancellations are unusual and recurrent. In some cases, you may be entitled to compensation for damages.

Local transport is usually provided by buses in towns and sparsely populated areas. The Helsinki Regional Transport Authority (HSL), which operates in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area, also provides underground, tram and commuter train services in addition to buses. Buses and trams are used in Tampere.

Delays and cancellations in local transport

Delays or cancellations may occur for various reasons, such as weather conditions and technical faults. They can involve cancellations or alterations of some services, which passengers should generally be prepared for, or more extensive disruptions, such as strikes.

If you have purchased a season ticket and are unable to use the travel services included in the ticket because of a disruption such as a strike, you can claim a refund for the unused days.

You can also request a partial refund based on a service fault if service delays or cancellations are unusual and recurrent to the extent that the operator’s service does not correspond to what is promised. In this case, be prepared to show evidence of the fault and to provide information about the delays on the services you have used.

Compensation for delayed or cancelled services

If you have suffered financial losses as a result of a local transport service being delayed or cancelled, you may be entitled to compensation for damages. You could also be entitled to compensation if the operator has provided incorrect information about its service schedules.

For example, you can claim compensation for extra travel costs caused by loss of connection or if you have to use a taxi due to a delayed bus service. The damage must be shown with a receipt or in some other trustworthy manner.

The passenger must make every effort to limit damage. For example, you can try to use alternative routes or contact the operator for advice. You cannot get compensation for harm and annoyance alone.

Changes to travel cards

Your place of residence, work or study may change during the period of validity of the travel card, or you could become unable to use your card, for example, due to illness. In these kinds of unforeseen circumstances, it is reasonable to request a refund for the period or value loaded onto the card. The operator may charge a reasonable handling fee for any changes or refunds made to the card.

The procedures for changes to travel cards and passengers’ other rights and obligations can be found in the operator’s terms and conditions. It is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the terms and conditions before using the operator’s travel services.

Making a complaint  

  • Normally, a complaint must be made within a reasonable time from having noticed the error, so make your complaint as soon as possible.

    If the operator does not provide a form for making a complaint, you can use the service claim form of the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority (FCCA).

  • Consumer Advice Telephone Service

    Service time Monday–Wednesday and Friday 9 am – noon, Thursday noon – 3 pm.

    Note! The telephone service is closed on Thursday, March 28. The online form closes on Thursday 28 March at 3pm. Services will be open on Tuesday, April 2nd.